Wednesday, August 22, 2007

“OUR FRIENDSHIP WITH JESUS”

21st Sunday of the Ordinary Time
Lk 13:22-30

“When you need a friend that you can depend/ you can count on me because you're my best friend. / When you're feeling down and your heart is hurt. / You can call on me and I'll be there for you friend.”

This song is song of a true friendship. A friend knows the heart of his friend. They have a very deep personal relationship. Do you have best friend? Who is your best friend? We all have best friends.

Here, I want to point out that Jesus must be the center of all our friendships. He is the center of our life. Indeed, He is our friend, our best friend. He knows us deeply. He journey with us in the difficult times. Likewise, as His friends we know Him personally just like we know our best friend.

Jesus was making His way to Jerusalem. There was someone asked a question, “Lord, will only a few people will be saved?” Will be only a few will enter in Heaven? He said that it’s not easy to get there. It’s not automatic. It’s a hard road. It’s a narrow gate. Many people wish to enter. But they will not able to.

The Gospel is telling us why people will not be able to enter. It is because they don’t have a deep relationship with Jesus. They have thought that it’s just enough to have Jesus. They are knocking at the door and saying, “Lord, open the door for us… we ate and drank in your company.” Is being in the company with Jesus enough? That’s not the point. Do we really know Jesus? Do we have an intimate relationship with Him? Are we accepting Jesus? Do we depend on Him? Are we taking His words to our hearts? And living them out? Do we believe in His words?

We may say, “Well, I am a catholic… I am an active member of CFC… I attend the Bible Study regularly… I have many friends who are religious, priests and bishops… I am a student of the Catholic school here in Davao… I am a Lay Minister… I am a good Catholic… I have no problem.” So what?

To be just being here is not that matter. It’s just plain external. What matters is that what’s happen inside of us. Our personal and deep relationship is what matter most in our lives. Our friendship with Jesus is what it counts. If we want to be with Him forever, we have to treasure the words of Jesus in our hearts. And live in it day by day.

To live the gospel in our lives is not easy. We have to strive for it. This is the invitation to us - walk in the narrow gate with our friend, Jesus. And we will be with Him forever. Amen.

0 (mga) komento:

 
;