Thursday, September 13, 2007

THE SIGN OF THE CROSS

Feast of the Triumph of the Cross
Nb 21: 4b-9; Phil 2:6-11; John 3:13-17






Everyday I take a public transport from our place in Matina-Dumalag to the Redemptorist Church. Going back to Dumalag from the Redemptorist Church, I have to wait first for some jeepneys going to the SM mall. But, there are only few jeepneys going to SM. So, I have to wait for quiet a long time. Oftentimes, the jeepneys are full.
One day, I was bored of waiting. The weather was so hot and I was tired. Just to make myself feeling okay, I tried to observe the people in the jeepneys and cars passing the Church. I observed that most passengers made a sign of the cross. I told myself, “Look! Most people making a sign of the cross every time they pass by. They are Catholics for sure. Wonderful!” I was very happy to see them showing their identity as Christians. They reminded me of my own identity as Christian.
To make a sign of the cross is a treasure for us Catholics. We begin and end our celebration with that gesture. We use it even without thinking. For some, they make a sign of the cross before and after eating, before leaving the house and before driving, before sleeping, or even before taking a bath. Some athletes are also making the sign of the Cross before the game. And we can identify them that they are Christians.
The sign of the cross – what does it mean for us? Today, in this feast of the Holy Cross, I want to point out that every time we make a sign of the cross we are remembering the meaning of the Cross of Jesus Christ. We are remembering that we belong to Him. Our entire life belongs to Him. We are remembering the unconditional love to us.
The cross tells us of God’s love. God’s love is visible in Jesus. Jesus emptied himself, took the form of a slave, and came in the likeness of human. He humbled himself, and, died on the cross. His death on the cross is outpouring of love and compassion for us.
The gospel of John tells us today that through His death on the Cross Christ is lifted up. Just as Moses lifted up the serpent in the desert, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, so that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life. The Father sent His Son not to condemn us, but to save us.
The cross is a constant reminder of God’s love for us. The cross is a constant reminder of Jesus Christ, His life, death and resurrection. For me, when I make the sign of the cross it reminds me of the Holy Trinity – the Father - who highly exalted Jesus, the Son, Jesus – who redeemed us, and the Holy Spirit – who made us holy. So we trace this sign on our forehead, our hearts and our shoulders as symbol of our faith. It reminds our identity as Christian.
The sign of the cross is wonderful gesture. It’s a wonderful expression of our relationship with God. When we make a sign of the cross, we are embracing our God with all our mind, with all our heart and with all our strength.
Each day, by making the sign of the cross, we remind ourselves with the sign of God’s unconditional love. It reminds us each day, in good times and bad times, that God is never far from us.
In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

1 (mga) komento:

Anonymous said...

buy xanax online xanax cr - xanax street names

 
;